Canine Behavior Counseling Presents:
Apprentice Trainer/Behavior Counselor Program
Description of Program:
This program is designed to educate future dog trainers and behavior consultants in various aspects of training and behavior modification. A variety of training techniques and supportive methodologies will be utilized and explained. Upon completion, the student will be familiar with a wide range of techniques, supportive methodologies, and legal/ethical considerations.
- Completed written target application including $25 fee (refunded only if application not accepted)
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Signed Medical release and copy of medical insurance information
- Signed Conduct Agreement
- Payment of $600 (includes $25 application fee)-payment plans are available
- Completion of coursework (22 hours)
- Learning Theory - 4 hours
- Speaking Dog - 3 hours
- Dog Breeds-1 hour
- Therapy and Service Dogs - 1 hours
- Inter-Dog Relationships - 1 hour
- Professional Ethics/business -3 hours
- Aggressive Dog - 3 hours
- Aggression evaluations-2 hours
- Fear/Anxiety - 2 hours
- Animal Restraint - 2 hours
Written test for each class (practical exam for restraint/safety). Each test must be completed with a minimum grade of 75% to continue with program. Grades less than 75% will result in course being retaken at additional cost.
Note: Credit will be given for classes taken elsewhere at CF Behavior discretion.
- Satisfactory Completion of Hands-on Experience (48 hours)
- Therapy Dog -4 hours-Therapy Dog Academy 3 hours, 1 facility visit
- Obedience Class - 11 hours, Star Puppy Class (6 hours) CGC/Good Manners (4 hours) CGC test (1 hour)
- Private Obedience - 4 hours
- Anxiety, Fears and Phobias – 6 hours (includes separation anxiety)
- Aggression – (includes fear aggression) 12 hours (1 socialization class, 1 reactive dog class, 8 hours private training, 2 court evaluations.)
- Office work-2 hours
- Choice (Students choice or area needs more work in) - 6 hours
- Total program hours= 67
Note: all hours must be completed within 1 calendar year of acceptance of application
- Grade of at least 75% on final written/verbal exam at end of each class, and comprehensive program written exam.
- Grade of at least 80% on practical/staff evaluation.
If less than 60% on the practical/staff evaluation, student will be issued a failing grade and NOT be eligible to retake or re-enroll in the program.
Upon successful completion you will receive:
- Certificate of completion
- Letter of recommendation/reference
- Option of being added on Canine Behavior Counseling list of approved contractors.
(Note: You must meet state/federal requirements as an Independent contractor.)
For more information, please contact
Canine Behavior Counseling
11652 East Ada Place
Aurora CO 80012