Updated October 29, 2021
Apprentice Trainer/Behavior Counselor Program
Please contact CF Behavior Counseling at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 303-537-5146 for our Apprentice Application!
Description of Program:
This program is designed to educate future dog trainers and behavior consultants in various aspects of training and behavior modification. A variety of training techniques and supportive methodologies will be utilized and explained. Upon completion, the student will be familiar with a wide range of techniques, supportive methodologies, and legal/ethical considerations.
- Completed written application including $25 fee (refunded only if application not accepted)
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Signed Medical release and copy of medical insurance information
- Signed Conduct Agreement
- Payment of $650 (includes $25 application fee)-payment plans are available
Coursework (23 hours)
(Correspondence format unless otherwise noted)
- Speaking Dog (in person class) – 3 hours
- Dog’s Perception of the World-2 hours
- Dog Breeds-1 hour
- Therapy and Service Dogs – 1 hour
- LearningTherory-3 hours
- Inter-Dog Relationships – 1 hour
- Professional Ethics/business -1 hour
- Aggressive Dog – 3 hours
- Aggression evaluations-2 hours
- Fear/Anxiety – 2 hours
- Animal Restraint (in person class) – 2 hours
- Introduction to Behavior Pharmacology -1 hour
- Introduction to Alternative/Herbal Therapy-1 hour
Each Class will require completion of 2-4 written assignments.
A grade of 75% is required to complete the course.
Note: Credit may be given for classes taken elsewhere at CF Behavior discretion.
Group Classes (15 hours)
- Puppy Class -6 hours
- Socialization-2 hours
- Reactive Dog Class-3 hours
- Therapy Dog -4 hours- Therapy Dog Academy (2 hours),
- Therapy dog evaluation (1 hour) facility visit (1 hour)
Hands on (42 hours)
- Working with clients/dogs
- Dog integration/inter-relationships
- Leash etiquette
- Medical Issues affecting behavior
- Pre-selection/Adoption Assessments
- Course Development
- Including 2 court evaluations beginning to end
Specifics will depend on client needs and scheduling
- Grade of at least 80% on practical/staff evaluation.
If less than 70% on the practical/staff evaluation, student will be issued a failing grade and NOT be eligible to retake or re-enroll in the program.
Upon successful completion you will receive:
- Certificate of completion
- Letter of recommendation/reference
- Option of being added on Canine Behavior Counseling list of approved contractors.
For more information, please contact
CF Behavior Counseling
11652 East Ada Place
Aurora CO 80012